20 November 2008

Unbiased Opinion

Must apologize for my lack of posting. I have been absolutely swamped at work and when I get home I'm so tired I can barely think straight or even bother to lift my hand to change the channel with the remote let alone type up a blog post.

I'm also super stressed about the big move. I know that once I get there and get working things will be great but right now I'm living in mortal fear that I'm making a massive mistake by quitting my job (with the steady paycheck), and picking up and moving to a city where I don't have a job when I have massive debt and when the economy seems to be headed down rather than up. I have a temp agency lined up but by the time I get up there (1 month from now) there might not be any jobs left. And then I'd really be screwed!!! So I'm massively stressed/freaked out/sick to my stomach about that.

Anyone out there live in Chicago? And know someone who is looking to hire someone in advertising/media/marketing?!

Do you all think I'm insane for picking up and piecing out like this? Before you make your judgment know that I'm a wanderer. I love moving, traveling, and exploring new places. I'm not scared about the city itself or making new friends or anything along those lines. It's just the job/money thing that is really worrying me. My only other options are to a.) Stay in Dallas, continue at my low-paying job where my skills are way under-utilized and continue having to work the 2nd job to make ends meet or b.) move home to Kansas and live rent-free with my parents but have to find another job (to pay my debt down) with the intent to pick up and leave again in no more than a year. Please know that I will be miserable in Kansas. The city that my parents live in is great, if you didn't grow up there. It's one of those cities where most people never leave. You marry someone from high school and the same gossip swirls around. There are very few jobs in advertising and I certainly wouldn't get very far in my career. There is nothing to do other than eat out, drink, or go the movies with the occasional concert or play that might pop up. Everyone is married, or practically married. The guys left that are single are well...less than desirable. And Dallas, well, you read about my feelings on Dallas.

I need an good, honest, unbiased opinion. Do I move? Do I risk the no job thing to get to the city that I love with the hope that something will pop up? Or do I stay here for another year, underpaid, exhausted and partially miserable? Or do I move home and live with the 'rents, pay some bills, but be incredibly miserable and feel hugely unsuccessful for living with my parents at age 25?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a tough one. The three choices are safe (staying in Dallas), safest(living with parents), and not so safe (Chicago). Safe and safest don't have much going for them other than safety.

Ask yourself this: if you stay in Dallas or move home, will you always regret not going to Chicago? Will you always wonder what might have been? If you will regret and wonder, is that something you can live with?

As for the debt: what you have now isn't going anywhere. Make at least your minimum payments to retain a good credit score and try not to add to it.

One last thing: will you ever be 25and free again? Will you ever have this chance again?

Carolyn said...

It's totally normal for you to be thinking these things right now. If you weren't I'd think there was something wrong with you.

It looks like you've taken the necessary steps you need so that when you do move, you won't be drowning.

Working with a temp agency is a great idea and you're moving at a good time because most companies start hiring more in the beginning of January after their new budgets start.

Don't move back home! That's what I did and I'm totally stuck. I really wish I would have stayed in Baltimore and gotten a job and stayed near my friends. Now i'm back home where people thrive on things that happened in high school.

You'll be great and it's totally okay to be nervous. That's what makes this whole thing an adventure!

Anonymous said...

Since the move is already in process, I say go for it. You may find a really great job there and have the opportunity to make a career out of it. Then you won't be able to just pack up and move. Do it while you can!