11 January 2009

Moving's a Bitch! But Sort of Exciting..

Obviously, I'm neglecting the blog as of late. I've been working hard (well, working at least....), trying to get moved out, cleaned up and ready for the big transition to Chicago and trying to spend as much time with my friends as possible. I'm really going to miss the Big D. Surprisingly enough.

Anywho, in my absence, I received an award from the lovely Bon Don of Who Throws a Cupcake? Honestly. Which is very thrilling, as it is my first award here at On My Merry Way. Thanks for that mamn! I'll get that posted and passed along as soon as I find a bit more time.

This morning is my last day here at the hotel. Which, as with this whole move, is bittersweet. I'm elated to (hopefully) never have to deal with another ridiculous over the top spoiled guest again. And doubly elated (again, hopefully) to never have to work another weekend again. But I'm sad to leave this company, because in my (short) experience, it is such an incredible company to work for. Hugely supportive, lots of amenities and benefits, very fun-loving and laid back, and opportunity for growth abounds. If I had any desire to remain in hospitality (which, as of now, I really don't), I would want to stay with Kimpton Hotels forever. The "work crew" that I've had the pleasure of working with here is so great. Very unique, diverse and crazily fun. Two of my very best friends came to me via the hotel. To say I'm sad to leave them all, is putting it mildly.

I wish I could say the same for the ad agency (my regular 9-5), but I can't. The people there aren't terrible or anything, but save for one nice girl, I really won't miss anyone. I won't miss the work environment at all. I'm very grateful to them for giving me my first "career" like job out of college (the hotel was just an extra money maker for me), but the environment was very negative, accusatory, each-man-for-himself, and had no room for much growth. I am however, saddened to leave my regular paycheck behind for months of temping as I search for a new job in Chicago, but I'm ready to get out of that agency!

My last week here is chalk full of activities as I prepare to say my goodbyes to the Dallas pals on Friday. Somewhere in there I need to remember to cancel my Direct TV (and pray to the high heavens that they won't charge me the prorated amount for my contract), cancel my internet, clean up the apartment, fill in the holes in the walls from all of the pictures that were hung, and do all of that other time consuming stuff that comes along with moving. It's going to be kinda crazy trying to fit that stuff in while working at the agency and spending the nights hanging with friends.

Please stick with me as I make this move. I'll be in and out for the next 2 weeks as I get settled in Chicago, and try and get internet up and running. Don't leave me! I'll be back I promise, probably with tons of entertainment as I will be temping and job searching, which has the potential to provide lots to laugh (and maybe cry) about.

10 comments:

nicole antoinette said...

Moving, sigh.

I've done that more times than I can count anymore. It's always difficult, but always positive in the end. Good luck with the bittersweet nostalgia of the next few weeks.

Oh, and by the way? I think your blog layout is just lovely.

*Kimmie* said...

I can relate *so* much more than I can fully disclose at this point. Once notice is given at my job, I plan on blogging my way through my next transition from Dallas to California.

I'm excited for your journey and look forward to gaining inspiration from your adventures. Good luck!

Susan said...

Good luck with the rest of your move- I will be here when you're through and can't wait to see how your new city will treat you :)

Carolyn said...

It does sounds soo exciting!! I am defiantly jealous of you right now. You're taking yourself out of a not so great work environment and really doing something with your life!! I can't wait to hear more about it!

Anna said...

I can't wait to hear about your new adventures in the city!

Bon Don said...

Don't worry about me I'll be here!

Can't wait for all the new adventures!

*Bon Don*

Caitlin said...

Welcome to Chicago (um, when you get here)! I'm sorry that you're moving to this awesome city when the weather is at its absolute worst. Can't wait to hear how your settling-in is going!

*Kimmie* said...

Good luck - Scrumptious Sundays is in your honor this week!

Jess said...

Good luck with the move! It sounds stressful but I'm sure it's just a pain-in-the-butt stepping stone to something bigger and better!

Anonymous said...

FY-I gave you an award on my blog.